Pupil Development Grant (PDG)
The Pupil Development Grant (PDG) is allocated to schools with pupils who come from low-income families and are currently known to be eligible for free school meals (e-FSM) and pupils who have been looked after continuously for more than six months (LAC). Schools are expected to make the best use of this funding to implement sustainable strategies that will quickly bring about changes for learners eligible for free school meals or who are LAC.
As a school we have agreed the following three steps:
- to identify the target group of pupils, its characteristics and needs
- to plan interventions which make the most effective use of resources
- to monitor and evaluate the impact of resources
In 2017-18 SWISS VALLEY School was provided with a PDG allocation of £10,500.
We have a comprehensive plan, agreed and monitored by Carmarthenshire Local Authority and ERW, to promote progress and remove barriers to learning for students eligible for this funding.
We have used the funding available to address Priority 1 Improving the quality of Teaching and Learning:
- enhance teaching and learning by providing programmes of support- aimed at developing problem solving, reasoning and thinking skills. Mr. P. Jones (ex-Deputy Head/Numeracy leader) is employed to develop these skills in small group situations. Baseline assessments have been made and pupil progress is closely monitored and tracked. An assessment to measure the progress is to be carried out at the end of the year.
- enhance teaching and learning by providing programmes of support aimed at developing ICT skills. Mrs. P. Powell (ICT leader 0.6 class teacher) is employed to develop ICT skills in small groups. Baseline assessments have been made and pupil progress is closely monitored and tracked. An assessment to measure the progress will be carried out at the end of the year.